Lately I’ve been irritable AF.
More specifically, there’s a been persistent and nagging irritability clinging to me for the last few weeks. I’ve been restless, sometime listless and noticeably more impatient with the people around me.
Whenever I feel this way it’s almost always a sign that I need to check-out of the outside world and tune into my star player – me. I’m a pretty outgoing person but the older I get the more I find myself craving, well, myself. Doing things like letting thoughts come and go in my mind, forming opinions with no outside input, laughing hard at my own terrible jokes, but mainly having a good time with myself.
And then, in my very best Carrie Bradshaw voice, I got to thinking:
How can I turn this into a blog post You know what’s a great companion when you’re alone and reflecting and recharging? Wine.
Now by no means is this an urging for you to go out and be all fucking sad and drink yourself to tears – no judgment though. No. This is more of a guide on what to do when you need to be alone. With wine.
- Watch SATC (or your favorite TV show). What’s better than a glass of wine and the story of a girl who falls in love just like you and makes stupid choices when it comes to men just like you? Upper East Side apartment and million-dollar wardrobe sold separately! You could easily pair this activity with white or red wine but I’ve been in a white wine kinda mood lately. A Chenin Blanc or Viognier goes well with watching your fictional alter ego’s poor life choices unfold on screen. Just. like. You.
- Take a bath. I fucking love baths and you should too. Few things are more relaxing than soaking in a tub of hot water and taking a few deep breaths. Even more relaxing is pairing your bath with a glass of red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon. It’s full-bodied and the right bottle can feel luxurious. Hell, do it real big and make it a bubble bath. Light a f*cking candle. Treat yo self girl.
- Take yourself to lunch. Are you one of those people who hates to go out to eat alone? Grow up. Bring a journal, put your phone down for at least 30 minutes and write down your thoughts. Order something delicious and a glass of your favorite wine to go along with it. A Malbec like this one would be nice. Take a sip and a bite and think about your life. Focus on how you feel and why. As we get older self-reflection is a must and sometimes it’s better with a little bit of wine.
- Cook yourself a meal. This one is probably my favorite activity in that I love homemade food more than wine. Food and wine go well together but there’s something even better about slicing, dicing and sautéing with wine in hand. It turns a mundane chore into a magical experience. Try cooking with a Gamay like this one. A few glasses of this light and fun wine is the perfect accoutrement. Promise.
- A good book. There’s something about getting completely lost in a good story that makes me feel alive. It gets no better than some comfy pajamas and a good book to end your night. The wine is the cherry on top. If you want white, then a fuller bodied white blend like Pontificis is a good companion. You could also pair your book with something familiar and comforting like a Bogle red blend.
Take some time for yourself this week, Lushies. 💋